In addition to diet, macrobiotics encourages people to make lifestyle and environmental changes. These lifestyle suggestions can be naturally integrated with someone's personal lifestyle.
Macrobiotic way of life suggestions include:
- Walk outside in the fresh air for two times 30 minutes or longer every day. In summer time it is great to walk barefoot on the grass in a park, in nature or on the beach.
- Try to wear 100 percent cotton clothing next to the skin and use cotton sheets and pillowcases on your bed. Cotton allows a smooth flow of energy with the environment. Outer garments and blankets may be of other materials.
- Try to use more natural quality body care products and cosmetics. They may be better for personal health as well as for the environment.
- Limit television or exposure to other artificial electromagnetic fields, preferably to 30 minutes a day, to minimize radiation exposure. If you professionally work with computers, try to use a TFT screen and take regular breaks. Regular performance of simple stretching exercises are beneficial also.
- Maintain a clean, orderly home and environment.
- Keep green plants in your home and office to increase oxygen and improve air circulation
- Try to keep active from morning to night, greet everyone you meet, and keep active communications with parents, children, and other relatives.
- Light to moderate exercise, including yoga, martial arts, dancing or sports, are also beneficial
- Self-reflect a few minutes each day on your life and express your appreciation to God, nature, or the universe. This may take the form of prayer, meditation, chanting, and visualization including the creation of healthful, positive thoughts and images.
- Sing a happy song each day!